Wednesday, April 06, 2005

perhaps i should reevaulate the title of my blog...

not-ranting again.

okay, so sleep deprivation and stupid decisions led me to doing my algorithms homework last night. algorithms that was due at 5 yesterday. but santos is cool and said that she'd accept anything that was under the door by the time she got into her office this morning.

braindead-ness kept me from doing anything productive on the homework except for drawing lots of pictures and scratching them out in frustration. in fact, here, i'll just cut and paste part of my away message from last night...

here's how my night went...
me:
<works>
poop...
<backtracks>
<works>
poop...
(etc.)
...
me: help!
george: well, you <blahblahblah> and the rest should be obvious...
me: ...
you've just put me exactly where i'm stuck.

yup... i got stuck on the obvious part...


so yeah... it was slow going. i finally finished it sometime around 3. and, of course, since i don't know when santos is going to be in her office, i had to turn it in right then. which shouldn't be a problem because mcb is open 24-7... right?

well, as it turns out, that's only partially true. the basement and the stairwells are unlocked. the doors to the other floors are locked. the elevator was turned off. umm... yeah, how am i supposed to get my homework turned in?

trying every door could be a pain. normally, to poke at the doors, you could just go up one level at a time and go in a circle. but, since the doors are locked, the only way to try them all is to climb all the way up one set of stairs, go all the way back down, repeat. uugh.

well, i did that, because what else could i do? i eventually found one set of doors on the fifth floor that weren't locked. hmm... at least that'll be useful for me to try other stairwells...

the fifth floor doors on all other stairwells are locked. if i go into a stairwell, the only way to get back to the fifth floor is to go all the way back down, back to the original stairwell, and back up to the fifth floor. so, out of desperation, i try the elevator. apparently the only part of the elevator that's turned off is the call button in the basement. good to know. except...

i'd been on the phone with matt the entire time (you know... so if someone tries to kill me, he can... um... scream at them through the phone), and before i stepped in, told him that i'd call him back if i got cut off (i was stepping into a giant metal box, after all)... and if i didn't call back within five minutes, to call the blacksburg police and tell them that i'm stuck in the elevator in mcbryde. no problem, the phone didn't even cut out (i swear, there's a cell tower on top of mcb), and i made it to the sixth floor just fine.

i still don't know if i got lucky with the doors being unlocked, or if that's their alternative to giving keys to everybody with an office in mcb... but i got to turn in my hw, and that's all that matters to me...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home